Saturday, October 31, 2009

Final Ideas

I'm trying to narrow down ideas I have for my portfolio.  I was thinking about doing it on people's secrets.  I like working with people and trying to photograph them in a way where you can see what they are feeling at that moment.  I was thinking about having a person stand with either a white or black backdrop.  I want it to be implied nudity with them either holding a white board in front of them or a white sheet.  Im leaning towards the board.  Then I haven't decided whether I want to hand write on the board or have projected text on it displaying whatever their secret is.  I will give them the option of showing or hiding their face.  I am thinking about whether or not I want it to be very short and concise text or if I want more of a long journal feel in which case i would enlarge or capitalize important parts of the text so it can be emphasized and more easily read.  Sorry I dont really have and reference pictures to post.

8 comments:

  1. The idea is sound but the execution has been done many times before. My most recent encounter is with a Wells Fargo ad campaign. I'm not sure if you want to have that kind of familiarity to the style. Projections have promise... Have you ever seen the science of sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I have not seen the science of sleep but i just googled it and watched a trailer of a movie called the science of sleep. Is that what youre referring to? and if so what about it? Are you suggesting i change my concept all together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no... I'm more or less trying to guide you towards a less literal translation of the content for your project. It just happen to be the first thing that popped into my head. I just thinks of secrets and fantasy of having some sort of a connection.

    Take a look at this show that deals with Memory.

    http://www.lightwork.org/exhibitions/past/tracing_memory.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. im thinking i am still going to take test shots of the images with text like i originally envisioned because i want to see how it would look however i am thinking about revealing the secrets through the image with out words. possibly with different means on and around the person i.e. projections/ paint/ dragging shutter. im not sure but whatever it takes to allow the viewer to guess what the secret would be about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are some of the ideas you have for the secrets that the people will be hearing? My only concern would be the limits of different types of reactions. What else do you have in mind other than the normal excited, happy, or sad

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh it wouldnt be people hearing secrets it would be people exposing their own secrets. i would give them the freedom of hiding or showing their face etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something I'd think about with the "censor" is to create actual censor bars over the body (like they had on tv before the pixel blur) and let the model pose naturally like they were if they were embarrassed or trying to hide. You could also create a speach bubble with different kinds of type (and don't wait to the last minute for type, it's tough to find the right kind!)and censor out certain words so you find out just blurbs of information like, "this one time I ----- at the -----"

    ReplyDelete
  8. In response to Caroline, I would agree on the censor but perhaps consider the idea of the anonymity of the person telling the secret. Approaches like the use of lighting to conceal and even cropping.

    I also would ask that you consider narrowing the scope of the theme for the secrets as mention by Jeff.

    ReplyDelete