Thursday, November 5, 2009

Since I find it hard to really be comfortable in the studio and with the work that I produce in the studio, I am building 6 small boxes to photograph. I just want to make visually beautiful pictures that have a lot of visual depth. In the boxes I am using paper to create somewhat geometric/uniform backgrounds and then I am using flowers and other organic objects to contrast with the background. I'm going to utilize shallow depth of field so the forms are a little ambiguous. I also plan to experiment with using a pen light and long exposure to "paint with light".

3 comments:

  1. Take a look at Johan Luyckx's still lifes @ http://www.johanluyckx.be/.

    Also Joseph Cornell.

    The treatment of each image is very important and for you I may have to suggest the Mamiya. I understand that form and design, along wit the contrast of organic and geometric space if the ascetics of these piece, but what about the conceptual? Is there another reason to your choice of items to include that transcends the visual meaning? I do imagine that beauty will play a role... what about time? Are these still lifes going to speak about a place, narrative, or person? Do you read short stories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making little boxes and expanding on the miniature project using larger setups can definitely turn out to be a good thing to experiment with. Using larger sets will make you not have to try hard to create the illusion that the subject itself is larger in the photo than in reality.

    In terms of a concept, what exactly are you trying to say? I don't know if going with the ambiguous organic vs. synthetic battle is the best route to go. It's been done a lot and it never really clicks for me. I think you should come up with more ideas and then refine it all down until you have a more clear message that you're trying to get across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you gave each box their own narrative, I think the concept would be a little more stable. I really love paper sculptures and a lot of illustrators (and photographers too, I'm sure) experiment with creating narratives with paper sculptures you could create an environment for these flowers/organic objects to live in. A paper garden perhaps?

    ReplyDelete