Thursday, November 5, 2009

SPORT

Since my last project went a ways out in terms of lighting, I feel I really need to spend the rest of the semester refining my studio lighting skills.

I generally get a little bit uncomfortable shooting portraits of people, so I want to challenge myself and do a series of portraits, using people who I feel innately look like artists and dress them up in sports attire.

As you all know, I'm a big fan of humor in art and I tend to always find something to chuckle about, so it's important for me to work with irony, absurdity, and awkwardness. I want to have these people wearing jerseys and baseball caps and whatnot, looking very fierce, like they are putting a "game face" on, cheering in a crowd, upset because their team lost a championship, etc.. Just having an intense expression to show how attached people get to sports.

3 comments:

  1. I can help but think aboutPaul Pfeiffer and yet there is no relation to your work, except the idea of the removal of the fan from the environment we expect to encounter them. Consider the fan as worshiper, vicariously living anther's life, and overall perhaps empty/undefined person until they dawn the attire of the fanatic. What is the expression on the face? Are these image all shot with the same lens, lighting, and backdrop OR is there variety in number, scale, and composition.

    Let the game s begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool idea. I feel like you could have a lot of fun playing with the angles from which you photograph. Getting high above them to belittle them almost or shooting from below to make them look bigger then they really are. If you want i have a football helmet you could borrow for shooting. I got it for ben for halloween its really funny its like a real football helmet but it has cup holders on the side with plastic straws for drinking. let me know if your interested =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fun, you could really get into it and play with angles and capturing the personality of the person you are photographing. Other than just looking fierce, what else could a sports star's face tell us? I'd like to see more to a personality than just fierce in every portrait.

    ReplyDelete